Monday, August 4, 2008

No one belongs here more than you. Stories by Miranda July

"Did you ever really love her?
Not really, no.
But me?
Yes.
Even though I have no pizzazz?
What are you talking about, you perfect thing.
You can see that I'm perfect?" (p.8)

"It doesn't really feel like driving when you don't know where you're going. There should be an option on the car for driving in place, like treading water. Or at least a light that shines between the brake lights that you can turn on to indicate you have no destination. I felt like I was fooling the other drivers and I just wanted to come clean." (p. 110)

"Our old affair was so easy, it was the dream that lovers have of consuming each other entirely." (p. 123)

"I don't believe in psychology, which says that everything you do is because of yourself. That is so untrue. We are social animals, and everything we do is because of other people, because we love them, or because we don't." (p. 134)

"When she saw my messy desk, she said she was the same way, and there was no dust on the TV, and I was easy to love. People just need a little help because they are so used to not loving. It's like scoring the clay to make another piece of clay stick to it." (p. 138)

1 comment:

Ellen said...

That driving quote sounds just like you. Are you sure you aren't secretly Miranda July? ;-)